PuTTY is a free Telnet and SSH client for Win32 and Unix platforms. It lacks the tabbing feature, which is one of the most important missing feature of PuTTY that many users are complaining. When you create multiple PuTTY connection instances, each instance will be opened in a separate window.
PuTTY Connection Manager is a free PuTTY Client Add-on for Windows platforms which provide a solution for managing multiple PuTTY instances by creating a tab for each PuTTY instance within the program window.
According to the features listed in the PuTTY Connection Manager web site, they include:
- Tabs and dockable windows for PuTTY instances.
- Fully compatible with PuTTY configuration (using registry).
- Easily customizable to optimize workspace (fullscreen, minimze to tray, add/remove toolbar, etc.).
- Automatic login feature regardless to protocol restrictions (user keyboard simulation).
- Post-login commands (execute any shell command when logged).
- Connection Manager : Manage a large number of connections with specific configuration (auto-login, specific PuTTY Session, post-command, etc.).
- Quick connect toolbar to quickly launch a PuTTY connection.
- Import/Export whole connections informations to XML format (generate your configuration automatically from another tool and import it, or export your configuration for backup purpose).
- Encrypted configuration database option available to store connections informations safely (external library supporting AES algorithm used with key sizes of 128, 192 and 256 bits, please refer for the legal status of encryption software in your country).
- Standalone executable, no setup required.
- Localizable : English (default) and French available (only when using setup version, standalone is english only).
In the PuTTY Connection Manager, access the Tools > Options. In the Options window, select PuTTY and browse or type the location of the PuTTY Client program in your PC.
Visit PuTTY Connection Manager homepage to download the software.